I’ve put together a selection of YouTube clips that illustrate how organisms sense changes and respond to them. Watch a couple, or three, or all… and have a think about the questions I have posed.
Cheetah chases wildebeest
- How does the cheetah know there’s food nearby and what does she do when she detects it?
- What about the food… do they sense the cheetah? What do they do?
- A tricky one… How does the cheetah know she’s hungry?
Young fox hunting in the snow
- How does the arctic fox know there are lemmings under the snow?
Barn owl attack
- The barn owl has excellent eyes for hunting in low light, but it can also hunt when it’s too dark to rely on them… how does it pinpoint its prey when it can’t see with light?
Anemone escapes starfish
- How did this anemone sense the starfish was attacking? I’ll give you a clue… it wasn’t touch.
Plants sense and react too
- All organisms need to detect changes and respond.
- What things do you think this germinating seed is sensing?
Hungry venus flytrap
- Plant reactions aren’t always slow… some are very fast indeed.